Welcome to the How to Run a Catholic Store Podcast. Here’s what I talk about in the show this week:
Amazon is getting into the Christian publishing market with a new imprint – Waterfall Press. This may not seem like a big deal to Catholic stores but as has happened before with books and music, it is bound to affect Catholic retailers eventually. So what can you do to be proactive about this?
1) Become an expert in Catholic product, don’t just sell it. If people know they can trust you for advice about Catholic media they will shop with you more than if you don’t know what you are selling.
2) Make your store a place to learn about the Faith. Have classes and book discussions. If people are in your store they are likely to shop with you.
The Catholic Marketing Network Trade show is just ten days away so here are some tips for making the most of the show.
- Plan ahead
- Decide what talks you are going to
- Choose what vendors you have to see and why
- Schedule meetings before the trade show
- Try to spend a day sight-seeing
- Check all the vendor deals and see if you can shift your ordering to take advantage of specials
- Do new things
- Don’t eat with people you know
- Buy an author or vendor lunch
- Get religious
- Attend Mass and adoration
- Go to confession
Book recommendation for the week:
The War of Art is a quick read. I finished it in a day but it does a good job of identifying the problem we have of actually creating things. It doesn’t matter if it’s a book, a painting, a business or just a blog post. We have a built in resistance that we need to overcome to move our lives forward.
Links from the show:
Do you have tips that I missed to make attending a trade show more worthwhile? Please leave comments!